Why I Can't Wait for PCLinuxOS 2008

PCLinuxOS, the hottest Linux distribution of 2007 have gone quiet for more than a year now. At the moment, a lot of PCLOS followers are probably anxiously waiting for their favorite distro's 2008 version (if there is any). --There's no definite release schedule, so we are left guessing.

Though PCLOS is not my most favorite Linux distro, I honestly consider it as one of the best. I have used the May 2007 stable release version and I was really impressed with almost all of its features. --Its got the stability, speed, usability, and outstanding community support. I've also tried MineME, a stripped-down version of PCLOS, and I can say it is pretty good. So you can’t blame me if I couldn’t wait for the next distribution release of PCLOS.

For now, I'll act like a fanboy and write a short list of expectations for the upcoming PCLinuxOS 2008(?).

*Great support for KDE 4
With KDE 4 shining brighter than ever, I expect PCLOS will utilize it and will take advantage of its killer features. I still think that PCLOS is the best KDE distro around, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will take KDE 4 to the next level.

*Excellent hardware support, security, and stability
Using the latest and greatest Linux kernel, PCLOS will become even more robust and secure. One of the things I like most about PCLOS 2007 is its amazing hardware support. Most of my hardware devices work perfectly in PCLOS without having to configure anything at all. Because of this, I expect the next version to be really well-supported.

*New default theme and artwork
PCLinuxOS is known to use the colors blue and black for their themes and artwork, so I expect it will still be the same for the next release. However, we will definitely see a change in design for the wallpaper, login screen, bootsplah image, and icon sets among others. Plus with KDE 4 integration, I expect the new overall theme to look really good. Just see those beautiful plasma themes and imagine what the next version of PCLOS will look like.

My expectations are high for the next version of PCLOS. I hope to hear a word or two from a PCLinuxOS developer regarding the current status of PCLOS. To our dear readers, please share with us your thoughts via comment.

0 comments em “Why I Can't Wait for PCLinuxOS 2008”

Post a Comment

 

Tech Source Copyright © 2011 -- Powered by Blogger